Fort Miami overlooking the Maumee River...
FORT MIAMI, INDIAN TERRITORY
Established: 1715
Established by: France

Fort Miami was built in 1715 by the French at Kekionga on the Maumee River. The fort’s main purpose was to prevent English traders from diverting the fur from the area to the Thirteen Colonies.  The original fort served as a successful trading post until 1747; it was in this year that it was sacked by a group of English backed Huron warriors.  In Summer 1749, a force of French and native allies under the command of Captain Pierre Blainville rebuilt the fort.  This second fort surrendered to the English in 1760 during the French-Indian War.

The First Nations of the Great Lakes and Ohio preferred the French to the English.  Although the French built forts and trading posts, they did not encourage white settlements on Indian lands.  The English, on the other hand, did the opposite.  Consequently, with the defeat of France and the arrival of England in the Ohio the natives banded together in a coalition of Indian nations.  They were unhappy with England’s policy to allow white settlements to be established on their lands.

The resultant war has been called Pontiac’s Rebellion (1763-1766).  Throughout the course of the war several British forts were destroyed.  The rebellion has been characterized by all sorts of attrocities committed by either side.

Britain lost Fort Miami in the first year of the rebellion.  The English commander was lured out of the fort by his Indian mistress and shot dead by hiding Miami warriors.  The fort surrendered and was burned to the ground.



FAST FACT
Britain eventually defeated the Indian coalition in 1766.  Although the coalition did not win the war, the war did influence British policy when England passed the Royal Proclamation (1763).  The Proclamation expanded the borders of the newly captured Quebec to include the lands of the Miami, Ottawa, Erie, etc. First Nations that had rebelled.  These Indian lands were to be off-limits to American expansion (at least until the Americans removed England from the area in the 1770s during the American Revolution).